It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:29 am

Hardcore Rules - Adjusted

Official news and updates

Hardcore Server: Should full griefing be allowed?

Poll ended at Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Yes: Full grief and looting is ok (No restrictions, lava, tnt, fire is all ok)
83%
No: Only take what you need, don't burn/TnT/Lava an entire base
17%
Other: Post your idea
No votes

Total votes : 35

Re: Hardcore Rules - NBW Announcment

Postby oxpoweryea » Sun May 05, 2013 6:11 pm

I play on Hardcore, Keep geifing allowed. But Don't lava bomb someones spawn. Also, whats NBW? I've never heard anyone talk of it on hardcore. Nut, please don't make tnt like it is on the main server. I love blowing things up.
oxpoweryea

Postby Iron Legion, The. » Mon May 06, 2013 2:16 am

a1den18 wrote:Square-Triangle and Frogman have it spot on pretty much. Here is a bit more background: NBW was started in April 2012 and ended in May 2013. Was the longest lasting group of players in hardcore. To get an idea of the activity, quite often NBW's Facebook page is more active than the NZN forums.

The thing that gets to me is I didn't know anything was happening with Spaites, only a handful knew. So his haphazard actions made NZNetwork a lot less fun for around 26 - 30 Minecraft players (15+ active). I liked playing with Spaites, he was very mature for his age; however he effectively ruined that too!

Oh.. Oh no... S-s-ssomeone made hardcore... HARDCORE... How could they?! That horrible, HORRIBLE, immature person... Why would they do such a heinous act?! Why dammit?!

It's fine when you do it to people, but suddenly it's a horrible thing when it's done to you ON A HARDCORE WORLD. Seriously, You pretentious hypocrites need to get over yourselves and leave spaites alone. Seems hardcore is only fun when its not hardcore for NBW, just for everyone else.
Iron Legion, The.

Postby Pop852456 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 am

Even though ive never seem Iron Legion on hardcore, he thinks exactly what i think its hardcore not easymode, I like your comment Iron Legion :)
Pop852456

Postby antea » Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 am

Iron Legion, The. wrote:Oh.. Oh no... S-s-ssomeone made hardcore... HARDCORE... How could they?! That horrible, HORRIBLE, immature person... Why would they do such a heinous act?! Why dammit?!

It's fine when you do it to people, but suddenly it's a horrible thing when it's done to you ON A HARDCORE WORLD. Seriously, You pretentious hypocrites need to get over yourselves and leave spaites alone. Seems hardcore is only fun when its not hardcore for NBW, just for everyone else.

The points re: hardcore are appropriate, however the argument they're having with spaites is based around years of friendship so has little to do with hardcore, or it's rules, or any of that, except for the fact that the hardcore server was the place where this argument between friends took place. Which is why this comment is ill informed and simply inappropriate... and seems like it's here to do nothing but inflame. It would be good if both NBW people and spaites' friends moved on or kept comments about it to private messages.

So.. for the second time can we get back to the topic at hand... and discuss whether there should be any limits on grief, because whether you think it's right or not, there currently are. Those are the terms you signed up for. This is your opportunity to make a constructive comment. without sarcasm. thanks.

I've played on a number of full hardcore servers and they generally end up with one or 2 experienced players camping spawn and killing/destroying everything that moves - and other than that an empty wasteland with no players. We want the community to grow rather than shrink away to a few pure hardcore players and grief limits allow players to start to take ownership of their builds in a rougher environment than survival. We want a server where people continue to play rather than rage quit because they've lost a years worth of building.

On the other hand it's difficult to police grief rules and one person's grief is another person's scratch so even judging what is grief and what is someone breaking through a wall or ceiling to get to loot is difficult. Most players ignore the mild-griefing rules already and it only comes up occasionally when large cities are discovered and attacked - when the grief hits a lot of people - as when NBW was hit, or when Antoine and co lost their city the week before or DMAC and co the week before that. And just for perspective it was the NBW people who were responsible for the attacks the two preceding weeks.

I think that thanks to the efforts of Sori, Obi and others over the last year we've started to build quite a strong community that's busier than ever... and will hopefully be able to avoid some of the pitfalls of other hardcore servers. but just remember when you're thinking about this: People don't just play HC to kill. Some enjoy the looting, some the griefing, some simply enjoy the slightly more relaxed atmosphere that relaxed rules bring and don't do any looting or fighting or killing. I don't play to fight - I'm pretty useless at that. I play to explore and occasionally to pinch what I need, Pop plays for the boom, spooky plays to chop people in half and is very good at it. We have to balance the gaming experience of all players.

sorry for the rant... my bathroom is flooding... i am damp.
antea
Minecraft Staff

Postby quog38 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm

I think Antea hit the problem right on the head.
Hardcore is different for pretty much everyone and what is one persons hardcore is another's nightmare.
However seeing as the HC server is effectively a vanilla server, without further plugin support there really is no easy way to police and enforce rules. What minimal rules HC already has are often forgotten as Antea pointed out, so putting a strict set of rules into play really will not work within the current HC format.

This "problem" (for lack of a better word) is one the staff had when HC was implemented and the current (and old) rule set was really the best we could come up with without giving Sori a headache of adding piles of plugins and commands that the main server has and thereby reducing what hardcore was meant to be back into the softcore survival of the main server.

I played the first hardcore and the first half of the new hardcore (the "old" map through the portal) and looting/killing/base destroying was always a huge part of it. The rules worked because the player base treated the server as fairly hardcore and acted accordingly, if your base got hit you moved and started again.
It wasn't until we actually appointed hardcore mods and staff had to step in to sort anything out/enforce what rules we had that issues started and might I add one of the biggest breaches of the rules involved members of NBW and is the reason hardcore has logblock in the first place.

I can see why people think this entire rule change is utter hypocrisy, as Antea said two cities were destroyed/disbanded due to the actions of NBW but as soon as it happens to NBW there are cries to change rules to benefit them.
Personally, and yes I understand this will obviously be an unpopular opinion.
I'd like everyone to think about WHY they want a rule change and WHY this thread was even made and if it comes down to anything even remotely close to "Pop blew up our base that took us a year to build and it's really annoying" then really is that a good reason to change the rules? or do you think you should just do what everyone else did and move on to start fresh?
by usb_hub » Sat May 26, 2012 10:45 pm
usb_hub wrote:I'd like to thank quog on becoming a mod. I know this is late, but better late than never.
quog38
Global Moderator

Postby iamtk421 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Whoops, sorry. I voted but haven't played Hardcore for probably a year or more...
iamtk421

Postby Pop852456 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Well i want a rule change simply for the fact that its not hardcore if you cannot fully greif, its more like mediumcore.
Pop852456

Postby Square-Triangle » Mon May 06, 2013 4:59 pm

antea wrote:this comment is ill informed and simply inappropriate... and seems like it's here to do nothing but inflame.

that's pretty much what it was

also birth i thought you were leaving foreeveerr
WolfMasterXV wrote:im so confused right now
Square-Triangle

Postby tafalofasofa » Mon May 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Excessive griefing should be approved. They don't call it 'Hardcore' for nothing. It makes the server truly hardcore and prevents arguments on whether something is an excessive or acceptable grief. The point of the game is to be attacked otherwise it might as well be called a survival server.
tafalofasofa

Postby TechHic » Mon May 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Hardcore was getting a bit too peaceful.
TechHic

PreviousNext

Return to News / Updates