It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 am

The yorb event (NZnetwork build event) 8-7-2017

Official news and updates

The yorb event (NZnetwork build event) 8-7-2017

Postby usb_hub » Wed May 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Officially nicknamed the "yorb" event by theBluebaerry and Sorifiend
What: 2 weeks of NZNetwork team build fun!
When: This school holidays (8th-23rd July)
How: Use /warp skyorb to get there
Theme: Sky Orbs! We will spawn a bunch of orbs in the sky and theme them.
Why: Because its gonna be real cool, and we might use the world as the new spawn world if we get enough done

If you are wishing to build your own "yorb" give a shout to a staff member (me or anyone with [mod] or [admin] tag) and they will be able to help you bring an orb into life. The main orb has a cross section length of 60 blocks. The maximum size for personal orbs will be a sphere 30 blocks across possibly more if there is room. World portal orbs will be a size depending on what a team of people wish to build
Your orb can have a muitiple of blocks when created, e.g 50% stone 10% dirt 20% iron_ore etc. If you wish to have these, please post on this thread the percentage of each block type you want, the total % must be 100 when added up.

More Info:
The idea is to create a bigger central orb (For spawning and info) and lots of surrounding satellite spheres that will be connected via pathways to the main sphere. Each sphere will then be linked to different worlds through a portal.

Each satellite sphere will be themed to the world it is linked, e.g survival will have storage supplies, farms, armor stands etc. Build will have bits of epic mansions, and other cool creations sticking out of it.

Extra (if we have time):
We may also create several smaller spheres for individuals to decorate with their own themes, but we want to work on the main orbs first.

Inspiration:

Looking good so far: Image

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OLD INFO:
We need to get more people on main so .. as an idea, a build event should do the trick, seems to always work in the past.
We just need a theme and a basic idea of what to build

So any ideas?

(I'll resist saying large hadron collider this time)
by quog38 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:17 pm

quog38 wrote:
usb_hub wrote:I'd like to thank quog on becoming a mod. I know this is late, but better late than never.

This is now my signature.
usb_hub
Global Moderator

Re: Build event on main?

Postby theBluebaerry » Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 am

I'd be keen, it would be cool to have a theme that's quite out of the box aka avoid stuff like "medieval" or "castles." Something weird like board games or famous paintings (they dont have to be the actual thing, just inspired by or loosely related, otherwise we would end up with everyone doing pixel arts)? Maybe for a simple build event it would be better to go for something more cliche though, I don't really have any build event experience to know what's best.
theBluebaerry
Minecraft Staff

Postby sorifiend » Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 am

Generally I have found the best events are something that does not need a lot of coordination, so something where everyone can pitch in with their own creation without needing to follow a guide. That's why in the past we always tended to have builds with houses all the time, because everyone can put a bit into it.

One cool idea I had in store:
Spawn a bunch of orbs in the sky (Say diameter of 20) and people can build whatever they want into them, or on the side or top, whatever works. And then we can also spawn a much larger one in the middle to create a warp a portal and have some signs with info about the theme (if we have one), and some design ideas to go with floating orbs.

Alternately we can have one giant cylinder or orb, and we can all build into that. Or maybe even a mountain face that we can build into, or even a bit of terrain in an extreme mountain area, and we can all claim a peak each.

Some inspiration to go with my orb in the sky idea:

sorifiend
Global Admin

Postby usb_hub » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 pm

That idea sounds awesome sori. Would be keen to try that one.

quog38 wrote:
usb_hub wrote:I'd like to thank quog on becoming a mod. I know this is late, but better late than never.

usb_hub
Global Moderator

Postby Coleoptile » Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm

I like the idea of the orbs as it's simple but allows for a lot of creativity.
Coleoptile

Postby NinaDoggy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Sounds like a great idea.
NinaDoggy

Postby usb_hub » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:41 pm

So when are the next lot of school holidays. Best time to have an event is during those.

quog38 wrote:

usb_hub
Global Moderator

Postby CharlieSmith101 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:33 am

Dont know what to have for a signature, so umm.... Over and out!

CharlieSmith101

:D
CharlieSmith101

Postby usb_hub » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:26 am

CharlieSmith101 wrote:https://parents.education.govt.nz/essential-information/school-terms-and-holidays/

Lotta time then.

quog38 wrote:

usb_hub
Global Moderator

Postby usb_hub » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:27 pm

In all the hype that hasn't actually happened for this build event, I've thought that it'd be fantastic for the idea Sori had to come to life, but as a possible community built "hub" for when the merge happens (eventually hopefully very soon). There will be a 100% empty world (sort of like skyblock) with one main "spawn" sphere, from that will be pathways to different spheres with portals for different worlds/servers (Build, Hardcore, Tasman, Skylands, Skyblock... etc) Each sphere would be themed towards the world it is directing you to, e.g Skylands will have little islands, hardcore lots of death-trappy things, same as Tasman and build, lots of colour. Skyblock may even be built as a skyblock island with the whole cobble generator, farm, setup.

quog38 wrote:

usb_hub
Global Moderator

Next

Return to News / Updates